Monday, October 28, 2013

Recognizing Bias in the World Map-- Brainstorming for Geography Awareness Week

As geographers, many of us are aware that the world map we have been using for the past 500 years is erroneous, reflecting European bias and colonial interests. Unfortunately, most people don't see it that way. The current world map continues to be taught in schools and referenced in decision-making processes that impact our every day lives. So, I was delighted when I saw people discussing the following post on my newsfeed this morning:


Perhaps we could develop an activity for Geography Awareness Week that gives students an opportunity to think about these issues?



1 comment:

  1. I loved the idea! You know it could be very insteresting to discuss those kinds of questions in schools to broaden children's knowledge. And I've already shared the video and wonder how people react and comment!

    ReplyDelete