Friday, October 18, 2013

Remembering difference in our mission to support women in geography

As graduate students, most of us will end up teaching at some point; for doctoral students, we can pretty much count on it. Those of us who will teach will invariably draw from our personal and professional lives to help students engage with classroom material. Presumably, I am not the only one who considers personal anecdotes an effective and dynamic way to engage students in the classroom.

So as we teach, we make connections between our personal as well as professional lives in the classroom, asking ourselves: Is this story relevant? Do I feel comfortable sharing a story from my personal life with my students? Does it accurately illustrate the point I'm trying to make? Will the people I’m referencing be embarrassed or annoyed that I used them as an example in my class?

But it occurred to me recently that when I do begin teaching, I will also have to make a decision about disclosing the gender of my same-sex partner. While professors in heterosexual relationships can reference their partners without fear of hostility or judgment, I am confronted with some difficult questions, such as: Is this story about my partner worth the potential disruption of sharing it? Is there value in disclosing my sexuality to my students, especially to queer students who may require role models and mentors? Will my students notice or even care?

As of yet, I have not been forced to confront these issues, and with the advances made possible by struggles for LGBT rights, they might be on their way to becoming non-issues. However, it is important to remember that women in geography (and science in general) come with a wide range of backgrounds, needs, concerns, and challenges -- all of whom need supporting. Through such support, I hope that we can work together to tackle issues related to gender, as well as sexuality in academia.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, absolutely, supporting all women requires a commitment to address not only issues of gender, but also sexuality, race, ethnicity, class, age, nationality and other social differences. This is what feminists meant when they encouraged their peers to go "beyond gender" and take an intersectional approach that analyses how these differences come together to shape women's experiences in unique ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definetely agree you Laurel! And I wish to see the days "at least" this level in my country. Most of the people have to hide their identities and this could be so offending for most of the cases. For example, the most common question after a certain age becomes " When are you going to marry?" and people who have to leave a hidden life has to escape from society pressure even making false marriages. Leave out to tell your students, they can not even share with their families. So, geographies changes the (partial) freedom also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree, people are made to feel like they have to hide parts of their identity, whether you are leading a second life or taking measures to ensure that you do not disclose the gender of your partner to your students!

    ReplyDelete